The Athenaeum Theatre . . .
Athenaeum Theatre Productions is firmly committed to providing the Chicago non-profit performing arts community a welcoming shared space to incubate new projects and collaborations by providing high quality and below cost performance, rehearsal, office and reception space supported by a staff of theatre professionals.
Athenaeum Theatre Productions (ATP) is Chicago’s premiere performance arts service organization, providing our Chicago and Illinois’s vibrant and diverse non-profit arts community with below cost performance and rehearsal spaces, and affordable office space supported by a staff of theatre professionals encouraging the community to incubate new projects and collaborations.
The Athenaeum Theatre is home to a 985-seat opera house; Chicago’s oldest, continuously operating off-loop theatre, as well as three “black box” studio theatres accommodating between 60 and 90 audience members. Our theatres are competitively priced and are fully supported by our in-house technical team, Bread and Roses, and our expert front-of-house management team. All clients receive box office and marketing support services from ATP, as well as consultations with our staff as needed. We view our rental clients as artistic and administrative partners all working toward common fiscal and aesthetic goals.
ATP is unique in offering full-service office spaces at below-market rates. Our clients, all non-profit performing arts organizations, not only have private office spaces within the Athenaeum Theatre, but also have access to a range of shared resources, including copiers, fax machines, conference rooms, and other meeting spaces, all in a central location easily accessed by public transportation, automobile, and bicycle.
As many as twenty non-profit arts and education organizations call the Athenaeum their artistic home, either for performance space, office space or both. Our partner clients reflect the exceptional diversity of professional artistry and talent that Chicago has to offer. The Athenaeum is home to union and non-union companies including Haymarket Opera Company, Chicago Arts Orchestra, Teatro Vista, Chicago Improv Festival, Chicago A Capella , DANCE Chicago, Emerald City Theatre, Jump Rhythm Jazz Project, The Saints and the list continues to grow. With shared resources, shared space, and shared experiences, these artists have the opportunity to collaborate, allowing each organization to thrive and continue to create their own unique art.
ATHENAEUM THEATRE’S CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS FOR 2015/2016
- ATP donates over 6000 square feet of third floor space to Dance Chicago and Emergence Dance for Rehearsal Studios free of charge. This valuable asset strengthens the underserved emerging Chicago dance community
- ATP donates sets of free tickets to all NFP charitable organizations requesting them for their fundraising benefits and silent auctions. Over 65 organizations including public and private schools, medical research organizations, social service organization and NFP arts organizations have taken advantage of this over the years.
- ATP annually provides free of charge and deeply discounted main stage rental rates for several NFP foundations and worthy causes such as
- Keep the Smile Alive NFP (The Katie Lund Foundation
- Artists Giving Back NFP (World Aids Day fundraiser
- Season of Concern NFP
- Marfan Syndrome Foundation NFP
- Dance 4 Causes, NFP
- Dance for Life NFP (Aids Awareness)
- We annually host 2 free neighborhood concerts with Chicago Children’s Choir. The free concerts fill the 984 seat theatre every year.