Athenaeum Theatre Productions,
Board of Directors
John Schmitz – BOARD PRESIDENT
- John is the founder of Dance Chicago (now in its 21th season) and it’s producer, Emergence Dance Theatre. John has been producing inventive dance events for 27 years, promoting alliances and collaborations between artists and dance organizations both nationally and internationally. He was a member of the Chicago Community Trust’s Dance Advisory Committee, one of Chicago Tribune’s “Chicagoans of the Year” (1995), a Ruth Page Award recipient for “Outstanding Contribution to the Dance Community” (1998), and a recipient of “The Columbia College Arts Entrepreneurship of the Year Award” (2006).A professional dancer, lighting designer, media and film artist, he has performed nationally and internationally. Projects include the Dance Chicago Choreography Project, the International Exchange Program, the Best of Dance Chicago (Illinois) and Stars of Dance Chicago (International).John holds a Master of Arts Degree in public administration and philosophy and a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics and economics from Northern Illinois University. John believes dance can drive emotional transformation – non-verbal, with dramatic power.
Tracy Davis – BOARD MEMBER
- Tracy Davis is the manager of compensation for Citadel LLC, a Chicago-based global financial institution with $11B in assets. Prior to joining Citadel in 2005, he served as an executive compensation consultant for Hewitt Associates, where he was responsible for consulting with the management and boards of a variety of Fortune 500 companies on compensation design and strategy.From 2005 through 2010, Tracy co-managed Oktoberfest Chicago, which has grown to be one of the premier festivals in Chicago, attracting over 20,000 attendees annually. Tracy received a B.B.A. in Finance from the University of Iowa. A native Iowan, Tracy has lived in Chicago for 17 years, where he currently resides with his wife Katie and sons Colin and Patrick.
Roger Halligan – BOARD SECRETARY
- Roger is the CEO and founder of H+A International, a PR/MarCom firm specializing in event marketing. Since launching the company nearly 30 years ago, Roger has built H+A International into the leading PR/MarCom firm specializing in promoting expositions and conferences worldwide. The company has helped grow more than 50 expositions and conferences into leading events in their respective marketplaces.Many of these events attract more than 50,000 attendees annually. Roger and his staff have also marketed dozens of theatrical productions at venues throughout the Chicagoland area. H+A International has been Dance Chicago’s PR/MarCom agency for the past several years.Prior to founding his firm, Roger was the Director of Marketing Communications at a Fortune 500 company where his responsibilities included creating special events worldwide. Prior to that, Roger headed up account teams at leading international ad and PR agencies. He has served on a variety of Boards.
Barbara Scharres – BOARD MEMBER
- Barbara Scharres is the Director of Programming at the Gene Siskel Film Center, a public program of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. In this capacity she is the artistic director for one of the largest cultural exhibition programs of world cinema in North America, overseeing over 2,000 programs a year that range from surveys of national cinemas, retrospectives, thematic programs, and premieres of new films.She also supervises and carries out curatorial and research functions of the organization, and serves as a liaison with international, national, and community media organizations.
Allen Tibshrany – BOARD TREASURER
Richard Harvey Trais – ATP BOARD MEMBER
- Richard Harvey Trais has been practicing law for nearly 40 years now. A 1968 Graduate of The John Marshall School of Law, Mr. Trais has a breadth of legal experience in diverse areas including contract law, corporate law, criminal law, family law and personal Injury. From 1968 to 1969, Mr. Trais worked in the criminal appeals division of the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office. He also worked as the Director of Student Legal Services at Western Illinois University, Macomb, Illinois, in 1977.
Dennis Conroy – BOARD MEMBER
- Dennis has over 35 years of fund raising and communications experience. He served as Director of Development at Northwestern Memorial Hospital/Northwestern Memorial Foundation, Vice President for Development and Public Affairs at Mundelein College Chicago, Associate Vice President for Development at DePaul University, Regional Vice President for the Chicago Region of the American Cancer Society and Sr. Vice President for External Affairs at Metropolitan Family Services. In addition to presenting at regional conferences on philanthropy, for several years he served as an instructor at DePaul University’s School of Public Service.In addition to providing consulting services to the not-for-profit sector, Dennis is a member of the Board of Directors of the Athenaeum Theatre and serves as Vice President and a member of the Board of Directors of the Chicago Network for Justice and Peace.
Judith McCray – BOARD MEMBER
- Judith is a multiple Emmy award-winning writer, director and producer with more than twenty five years of experience in broadcast production and programming. She has developed and produced award-winning programming examining science and the environment, history, civil, and human rights, education, politics and racism. Recent public television documentaries include Chicago’s True Nature: The Forest Preserves of Cook County (2016 Chicago/Midwest Region Emmy Award); Colorblind: Rethinking Race (2013 Chicago/Midwest Region Emmy Award), Tal Como Somos (Just As We Are) (2008), Constructing Equality (2006), Nubia and and the Mysteries of Kush (2003), Amazon Rising: Seasons of the River (2000), For My People: The Life and Writing of Margaret Walker (1999). and Missippi, America (1996)